Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

10 Weeks

This is my father-in-law, B's, breakfast Saturday

He put about half a stick of butter on a coffee cake muffin and then followed it up with Oreo cookies, at 9:00 am. He drives me crazy. If this was a normal person, I wouldn't even be involved, but this will turn into the Dr. saying something about his cholesterol and then he will literally point at me and say "She feeds me!". Then I have to explain B's over eating of cookies and obsession with butter. Did I mention he also has Diabetes. I mean who butters a coffee cake muffin??? I had a lot of patience for him when he first came to live with us three years ago, but I'll admit that most of that patience is gone. He lies, he always has an excuse and unlike most old people that I know, he is the opposite of helpful. I've caught him actually stuffing newspapers behind his couch instead of putting them in the recycle bin. He didn't say thank you AT ALL when he first starting living with us, now he will say thank you when I make him dinner, because I finally told him if he didn't I wasn't making him dinner anymore. I find my relationship with him so frustrating. I'm usually a helpful warm person, but he always makes me upset. I've asked him a MILLION times not to feed the dog his food, and he always acts like I'm crazy he would never do that. Then I go in his room and he's feeding her! His response is that he's never done it before! Um, yeah, right! I've had him tested for dementia, and he has the very early stages of it. I have him on medication and I make sure he takes everything properly in the morning and at night. I try to compensate for the early dementia, but he seems to think that he's a celebrity living in a hotel. I took care of C's mom who had dementia and ALS. She was a dream compared to him. And being pregnant I have even less patience for him. About 3 days after we lost Wyatt, I was on the couch surrounded by tissues and barely speaking, he came into the room and told me he needed me to take him to get a haircut. He knew what had happened, but apparently, he was over it. I, of course, started to cry and told him no. Just plain no. Which he followed up with something like all he did was ask. He's just not normal and according to C, he's always been off like this. UGH..... 

I'm nervous for tomorrow. I always get nervous the night before the ultrasounds. I wish I had a window into my uterus! I'll post the pics more promptly this time, I promise! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. That sounds so trying, and you've got so much else on your mind right now. I can't imagine doing that even under normal circumstances - it just hurt me to read about his treatment of you after Wyatt was born. I am so sorry, but I know words don't help.

    I can't wait to hear how things went today! I am guessing baby was big, big, big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I am so sorry. I am not sure how you deal with that. If he's always been this way, then I guess it's not just the early dementia. So sorry!

    Can't wait to hear how the US was today!

    ReplyDelete