Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mema

Mema (May-ma) is my grandmother. My father's mother and my only living grandparent. She has always been a huge part of my life. Although Mema is her "grandma name", over the years it has become almost a first name. Most of her friends call her Mema and everyone in the family calls her Mema, like it's her name. One of my younger sisters thought it was! Her name is M. Joanne (the M standing for Molly) and my sister had always figured that M stood for Mema!

On Tuesday morning, she was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and fluid around her heart. Although she seemed to be getting better, and there was even a discussion about her care when she was released, she's taken a turn for the worse. My Uncle told me the Doctor said it would take a miracle for her to survive this. Her heart is failing, she has pneumonia, and her kidneys are starting to fail.

The last few months with her have been rough. She has always had a drinking problem, but since my grandfather's death 3 1/2 years ago, she has gotten progressively worse. She had a stroke and then open heart surgery right before we lost Wyatt, back at the end of October. I honestly thought that would be enough to stop her from drinking so much, and it was, for awhile. But, not very long.

I have so many glorious memories of her from throughout the years. She always took all of us grandkids in the summers. She would take us to the beach...line us up for showers, (there was no going to bed covered in sand!), slather us in barbasol shaving cream when we had a sunburn (or just about any other ailment), cook boiled dinners. When I was little and my father didn't see me for 2 years because he wasn't around (not really sure what the deal was with that) my grandparents picked me up and had me every weekend. When I was 16, she rented the house down the street from her for me and my friends for a week. We all look up to her. She's Mema...if Mema told you to do something you did it! When I lost Wyatt, she was devastated. She's never been touchy, feely, but she was devastated. I told her last week that I'm pregnant. I am so sad that she may never know her great grandchild.

No matter, Mema will always be a legend to my kids, and I hope that someday I will be half the grandmother Mema has always been to me.

Please keep her in your prayers. It would mean so much to me.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother taking a turn for the worst. She sounds like a wonderful and caring person who meant so much to you. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you a BIG hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry your Mema has taken a turn for the worse. Sending up a prayer that she makes it through this setback and is around long enough to meet her great-grandchild.

    ~ICLW#17

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this. You'll be in my prayers and thoughts - I hope that she is free from pain, and that she is able to see that miracle. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete